- Psychiatric assessment/treatments
- ADHD/ADD assessments
- Immigration reports
- Medico-legal assessment
- Insurance reports
- Review from other professional’s reports
- Specialist authorisations (enabling certain medications to be free of charge)
- Care of the Child Law Reports
My treatment philosophy:
Psychiatry usually will be a conjoint approach. I may prescribe medication but endeavour to always offer support, understanding and psychotherapy. Medication at best may do 30% of the improvements for those who have a depressive illness. Perhaps a higher percentage for those who have an ADHD. Medication may get an individual out of illness but we need further input to get each individual into an improving wellness and achieve better education and occupation success.
Working with other professionals
Several mental health professionals in different disciplines work from the Caledonian Clinic.
When necessary, and with your agreement, I can obtain their help with shared care or I can work with your current health professionals, especially your GP.
We also have available at Caledonian Clinic, Social Worker, Brenda Lois, who can offer other professional help and advice if required.
Whether you have been referred or self-referred, I will talk it through with you as to shared care with your existing psychologist or psychotherapist.
Psychiatry is commonly three fold where we need to take into account biological, psychological and sociological and further in ADHD there is a fourth dimension; educational for those still in the education system and/or occupational for those in the work force.
Working together for wellness
Treatment works best as a joint venture. My aims in helping my patients include:
- Recognising their problems and potential
- Understanding stresses, neglect, trauma, abuse (including sexual), injury, grief
- Assisting them in getting out of illness
- Encouraging self, acceptance and confidence
- Making and setting goals
- Gaining abilities in a balanced lifestyle
- Seeking ongoing recovery and wellness
Psychiatrists are medical practitioners with a specialist degree in psychiatry, therefore often prescribe medication. Usually it is a partial solution.
Non-medical: I use psychotherapy/counselling in conjunction with Psychiatric Social Worker, Brenda Lois.
Other health professionals may be included as improvements and insights occur.
Referrals are best but not essential. You can contact the Clinic direct to make an appointment.
The referrals I receive are from many sources including:
- Medical Practitioners
- Psychologists and other professionals
- WINZ and CYFS
- Lawyers and the Courts
- District Health Boards (hospitals)
- Insurance companies
- Immigration professionals
- Partners, parents (whanau) and friends
Out of Town Referrals
I will attempt to give a 90-120 minute first session.
Treatment minimum age
14 years. (However if I am treating one family member I may be willing to see any other family members).